Healthy Children Coalition for Parker County
Vision: Parker County where families choose healthy and active lives.
When the coalition formed in 2011, coalition members chose to focus on promoting healthy lifestyles so children in their community will not struggle with being overweight or obese. The coalition promotes healthy lifestyle education for children through nutrition, physical fitness and resilience and empowering families with healthy living information through community opportunities. Childhood obesity is a complex health issue driven by factors such as environment, community, family behaviors, and ability to make healthy lifestyle choices1. Healthy lifestyles programming can help prevent chronic diseases and long-term illnesses, helps foster a positive self-awareness and improve mood, and help improve a child's capacity to learn at school 2, 3.
1Cook Children's (2018). Community Health Needs Assessment: Community-wide Children's Health Assessment and Planning Surveys
Strategic plan objectives
- Foster collaborative approaches and partnerships to promote children’s health.
- Build community awareness through information and resource sharing to promote children’s health
- Strengthen knowledge and skills for children and families that improve children’s health and well-being and empower families to thrive.
- Educate and support providers and community leaders who will share knowledge and skills with children and caregivers within their reach.
- Support organizational practices and policies that promote child wellness and safe families and children.
Our focus areas
- Gardening – the coalition supports local gardens so children have a hands-on opportunity to grow what they eat. Gardens are built to accommodate each site partner's individual needs.
- 5210+ Every Day – a toolkit that was adapted from evidence-based programs proven to reduce childhood obesity. 5210+ Every Day promotes tips that encourages children and families to make healthy food choices and daily healthy living behaviors.
- Healthy Lifestyle Awareness Campaigns – the coalition partners work with community leaders and service organizations to promote healthy living awareness campaigns to children and families throughout the year.
Join our coalition
- Attend coalition meetings to receive updates and learn about volunteer opportunities.
- Plan, facilitate or attend community-driven events.
- Help develop and maintain positive key messaging of nutrition, physical fitness and mental resilience.
- Host or support gardening activities for children.
Questions or comments
If you have any questions or would like more information about our program, please email Mandy Ebner.